Reminder to Public-Phone Scams
The Belleville Police are reminding members of the community to be aware and vigilant with their personal information when speaking over the phone. There have been a number of calls from citizens concerned that the Canada Revenue Agency is trying to collect money from them and if payment is not received immediately then police action will be taken against them. The Belleville Police Service recommends consulting the Canada Revenue website in regards to Fraud Alerts at www.cra-arc.gc.ca to familiarize themselves with the CRA and if there is any doubt to contact the CRA directly at 1-800-267-6999
*Some tips from the CRA website*
The CRA will not do the following:
- send email with a link and ask you to divulge personal or financial information;
- ask for personal information of any kind by email or text message.
- request payments by prepaid credit cards.
- give taxpayer information to another person, unless formal authorization is provided by the taxpayer.
- leave personal information on an answering machine.