Youth in Policing Initiative
Belleville, Ontario - Belleville Police Service, in partnership with the Ontario Ministry of Children & Youth Services, has hired two summer students under the Youth in Policing Initiative (YIPI).
The YIPI is a program that provides opportunities for youth (15 to 18 years) to work with police services across Ontario so they can develop skills that could lead to a possible career in policing.
The Belleville Police Service recognize that our youth are our future leaders of tomorrow. This initiative enhances our ability to work collaboratively with the Ontario Ministry of Children & Youth Services, our community partners and our youth to provide education, strengthen current and build new relationships and ultimately better our community.
- Chief Cory L. McMullan, Belleville Police Service
"This is more than a summer job for these young people. It is an opportunity for them to build their resumes, experience the workplace and gain the self-confidence needed to achieve success in the future. Across Ontario, the program also helps to build bridges between youth from high-needs communities and the police.”
— Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Children and Youth Services
Goals of the YIPI are:
- strengthen the relationship between youth, community and police
- build self confidence in youth
- to be introduced to municipal and provincial governments
- to develop a realistic understanding of the diverse roles and commitments required to become a Police Officer
- to introduce the students to a diverse working group that have the potential to be role models and mentors to the youth involved in the YIPI program
- to provide a safe & positive work environment for youths
- to create a realistic work experience which will prepare the youth in developing job ready skills
Belleville Police Service completed an applicant process and as a result two students have begun their summer employment The students will be identifiable by way of a Belleville Police Service golf shirt and ball cap and the public can expect to see the students in the company of Belleville Police Service members and/or Belleville Community Policing Volunteers at community events, involved with various local agencies and as well accompanying officers in "ride alongs”.