FRAUD ? Internet Shopping
Internet fraud is preventable. The Belleville Police Service reminds residents especially seniors who can be more vulnerable, that prevention is the best protection against internet fraud.
Risks Associated with Online Shopping
Internet shopping brings certain security risks. Personal information provided over the Internet can be retrieved by criminals if the vendor's website is not a secure site. Practice precaution when shopping from one site to another. Do not be tempted to click on other pop-up windows that are not a part of a secure vendor's site. Remember to protect your personal and financial information from such things as scams and other unscrupulous financial tricks.
While the Internet has many legitimate vendors doing business online, there are also people online that are dishonest. These so-called businesses are online to scam the consumer. It is very easy for a dishonest and fraudulent business to appear reputable simply by designing an attractive website. Usually these types of businesses misrepresent their goods or merchandise. They take your payments and never send the goods or merchandise you paid for, thus leaving you with an unresolved problem.
- If a deal sounds too good to be true there are agencies and services available for you to determine if an internet shopping site is legitimate. Do some research before handing over your money. Internet shopping sites can be a legitimate selling tool for Canadian business, but also proves to be an excellent opportunity for criminals.
CRIME PREVENTION MESSAGES:
- Remember, legitimate sites have nothing to hide, however, criminals will say anything to part you from your hard-earned money.
- Be cautious. You have the right to check out any caller, site or business by requesting written information, a call back number, references and time to think over the offer.
- Do not give out personal banking information or any other personal information to someone over the internet unless you know they are is legitimate.
- If you have doubts, don't participate in the transaction.
- Do not be pressured to send money to take advantage of a special offer or deal
- Do not be hurried into sending money to claim a prize that is available for only a few hours.
- When buying or selling, whenever possible you should meet in-person to see the product and exchange funds. Meet in a public place with many people around, such as a coffee shop.