Break and Enter
Belleville, Ontario ? On 20 August, 2011 at 11:55 a.m., police attended at a residence on College Street East in response to a complaint of a break and enter. The resident reported that between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. unknown person(s) gained entry via a window and stole cash from the residence. This investigation is ongoing.
Belleville, Ontario ? On 20 August, 2011 between 11:55 a.m. and 1:26 p.m., police attended at 2 residences in response to complaints of a break and enter and an attempt break and enter. In both cases there were occupants within the residences and nothing was stolen.
Belleville Police Service would like to remind citizens to secure their property at all times and that home security safety applies when you are away and at home. Mindful prevention is a way to reduce your risk of being a victim and the following are a few suggestions.
- Always keep your front door and windows locked and if they are being used for ventilation ? install a securable, window stop.
- Keep screen doors locked whenever your main door is open.
- Garage doors leading directly into the home should be kept locked at all times, even when you are in the house or backyard.
- Be sure second story windows are closed and locked when you are not at home. Patio furniture has been used as a stepladder to gain access to upper levels of the home.
- Know your neighbours and report any suspicious activities, persons or vehicles that are observed in the area to police.
- Make sure that your home always looks lived in (e.g., newspapers/flyers picked up, grass cut, snow shoveled etc).