Belleville, Ontario ? On 22 and 23 June, 2011 Belleville Police Service received multiple complainants from senior citizens in relation to a duct cleaning company offering a free inspection to home owners. This company claimed to be a government run program.
Belleville Police Service Criminal Investigations Division completed the investigation and as a result would like to remind members of the community of questions/tips that should be considered prior to making any commitment to companies using telephone solicitation to acquire duct cleaning business.
- Where is this business from or registered?
- Confirm the authenticity of the company by contacting the Ministry of Consumer Services at: 1-877-665-0662, Fax: (416) 326-1947 or E-mail: email@example.com
- Are the business and the inspector licensed by the Technical Safety Standards Authority?
- Does the company doing the telephone solicitation have a City of Belleville license authorizing them to sell via telephone or door to door any service or goods?
Protections tips for consumers
- Do not feel pressured to committing to allowing anyone into your home.
- Always hire a trusted professional contractor to assist in any home repairs.
- Remember, legitimate telemarketers have nothing to hide, however, criminals will say anything to part you from your hard-earned money.
Be cautious. You have the right to check out any caller by requesting written information, a call back number, references and time to think over the offer.