The Belleville Police Service responded to 72 calls between December 3rd 2019 at 5:00 a.m. and December 4th 2019 at 5:00 a.m.
Armed robbery suspects arrested; drugs and gun seized
Belleville, ON – On December 3rd 2019 at 6:21 a.m., police were called to a robbery in progress at a Cannifton Road home. Information obtained indicated the involved suspects had committed the crime with a firearm, robbing the victim of her cell phone. Further information was obtained that three suspects had entered into a taxi, and were headed towards Quinte West. Police caught up with the cab on Dundas Street West, initiated a high-risk vehicle stop, and arrested all three suspects. A prohibited firearm (sawed-off shotgun) and illegal drugs were also seized. The following persons are charged accordingly:
Damion Alexander Rout-23 years of age, Michael Paul Mercer-38 years of age, and 42-year old Sherry Jeanen Clark, all of Belleville are charged with the following Criminal Code offences:
- Robbery using a firearm contrary to section 344(1) of the Criminal Code.
- Being an occupant of a motor vehicle knowing there is a firearm contrary to section 94 of the Criminal Code.
- Possession of a restricted firearm or ammunition contrary to section 95(b) of the Criminal Code.
- Possession of a firearm knowing the serial number has been tampered with contrary to section 108(1)(b) of the Criminal Code.
- Breach of firearms regulation - transport firearm or restricted weapon contrary to section 86(2) of the Criminal Code.
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose contrary to section 88 of the Criminal Code.
- Possession of a Schedule 1 substance for the purpose of trafficking (cocaine and crystal methamphetamine) contrary to section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.
Both Rout and Mercer are also charged with Possession of a firearm or ammunition contrary to a prohibition order contrary to section 117.01(1) of the Criminal Code.
There were no injuries during the incident. All three accused appeared before a Justice on the afternoon of December 3rd and have been remanded for bail hearings in the Ontario Court of Justice on December 4th.
Belleville, ON – On December 3rd 2019 at 1:35 p.m., police attended to a home in the Progress Avenue and Village Drive area for a report of a disturbance within a family. An investigation resulted in a 34-year old city woman being arrested for uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm to her sister. The woman was taken into custody and transported to the Belleville Police Service. She is being held pending a bail hearing at the Ontario Court of Justice on December 4th.