Back to School Safety Reminder
Belleville, Ontario ? Tuesday September 6, 2011 is the first day of school for local students. Belleville Police Service would like to remind drivers and students that sharing the road, being alert and paying attention to what you are doing will help keep everyone safe this school year.
Belleville Police Service Traffic Management Unit will be focused on preventative enforcement in school zones.
Sgt Tom Sweet stated "We are committed to ensuring that children are able to travel to and from school safely, it's up to drivers to drive defensively.?
Back to School Safety Tips
Here are some basic reminders for drivers:
- Drive mindfully (paying attention to the road, other drivers and pedestrian activity)
- Slow down ? know the speed limits and be especially alert in the residential neighborhoods and school zones
- Take extra time to look for children at intersections, on medians and on curbs
- Enter and exit driveways slowly and carefully
- Watch for children on and near the road in the morning and after school hours
Reminder for your children:
- Cross the street at corners where there are traffic signals and crosswalks
- Never run out into the streets or cross in between parked cars
- Make sure they always walk in front of the bus and make eye contact with the bus driver