We are currently at full complement for Special Constables. We would be pleased to accept applications for a future process.
Reporting to the Supervisor of Court Services, this position is responsible for providing secure custody, care, transportation and escort (to the Station, courts, detention centres, hospitals, and other police agencies) of persons who are in custody ensuring that the safety and security of the prisoner is maintained. The Special Constable also provides security of justice system participants taking part in or present at court proceedings and the security of all court buildings during the hours when justice system participants are present for court purposes.
Applicants must have an Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) Certificate obtained through the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police. or a valid OACP Certificate from ATS.
Applicants for the Belleville Police Service position of Special Constable must meet or surpass the following minimum requirements and standards:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Be at least 18 years of age as of the posting closing date.
- Possess a Grade 12 graduation diploma or equivalent or post-secondary education at an accredited college or university as an adult student at a minimum.
- Post-secondary education is considered an asset.
- Possess a valid Class G driver’s license and suitable driving record.
- Possess a valid standard or emergency First Aid and CPR Level C certificates.
- Possess a complete and valid Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) Certificate.
- Be in good health (physically and mentally fit) and meet the physical, mental and medical requirements of the Belleville Police Service.
- Have no criminal record for which a pardon has not been received.
- Be of good moral character and habits meaning that you are an individual other people would look upon as being trustworthy and having integrity.
Preference will be given to applicants who have experience in corrections, security, emergency response, and dealing with demanding people in crisis and distress (e.g. intoxication, struggling with mental health issues, difficulty communicating, agitated, angry, upset, and frightened individuals).
Recruitment steps for the Special Constable include, but are not limited to, an application review, a panel interview, submission of Personal History Form for a comprehensive background investigation (education, personal and employment reference checks), fitness assessment, psychological assessment, and a third-party medical examination.
To make an application you must submit:
- Cover letter and resume
- Copy of the OACP Certificate
- OACP Fitness Log
- OACP Vision and Hearing Assessment Forms
- Copy of Diploma and/or Degree(s) of educational achievements
- Copy of valid First Aid and CPR certificates
Additional supporting documentation you may submit includes:
- Letters of reference related to employment or community service
- Certificates of Achievement
Please submit all documentation to the attention of the HR Unit by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
By applying, you agree that the statements made by you are true, complete, and correct to the best of your knowledge. Further, you understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, and/or deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for dismissal.
Please note that the Belleville Police Service is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise the HR Unit if you require accommodation for testing, interview, or employment purposes.
If your require further information or have a question, please contact the Human Resources Unit at email@example.com.